Listed below are the classes I'm currently offering. If you don't see something you'd like me to teach, give me a shout via email and I'll be happy to talk about it!
YARNITECTURE: BUILDING EXACTLY THE YARN YOU WANT – 6 HOURS
Is the yarn in your head the yarn in your hand? Do you always spin the same yarn? Do you have a dream yarn you just can't make happen? Are you unhappy with what happens to the colors when you spin a variegated top or roving? Do you love your handspun yarn, but don't like how it looks knitted?
In this class, we’ll focus on making yarn that inspires you from commercially dyed rovings, tops and batts -- yarn you’ll love to knit with. Together we’ll build your yarn from fiber braid up to a knitted swatch.
Starting with your yarn vision, we'll break it down into all of its parts. We'll build your yarn's foundations by exploring fiber breeds and preparations. The walls – they're the different drafting and plying methods we'll work with. Finally, the roof goes on as we manipulate variegated tops and rovings to get the colors you’ve chosen just the way you want them.
All along the way you’ll get tips to keeping your yarn’s end use or yarn vision in mind and your yarn consistent. This class will give you confidence to build the yarns you want to knit with!
COLORPLAY: STRESS-FREE WAYS TO SPIN WITH COLOR – 6 HOURS
Are you ready to change the way you think about spinning with color? Do you have fun when combining colors or is it just a mess of stress? Are you ready for spinning with color to be fun?
Do you have a collection of beautiful braids, bundles and batts in colors you love, but haven't cracked them open because you're not sure how to spin them without bungling the colors?
In this class, we’ll throw out the color wheel and learn to work with dyed fiber in a bunch of stress-free ways.
You’ll spend a day spinning and knitting yarns from beautifully dyed fibers.
- You’ll explore several different ways to work with spinning single color and variegated fibers into yarn you’ll love to knit with.
- You’ll get tips on the how to work with different breeds, fiber blends and preparations when combining tops and rovings.
- You’ll work with drafting, plies, marls and fractals, and spin and knit samples that you can refer to after class is over.
- You’ll learn how to keep colors as they are, how to blend colors for depth and subtlety, and how to combine colors, all without breaking a sweat.
Most importantly, you’ll walk away from this class with more spinning confidence, knowing you don’t need a degree in art or even a color wheel to create beautiful, colorful yarn.
THE DIFFERENCE A PLY MAKES: CHOOSING THE RIGHT PLY FOR YOUR KNITTING PROJECT – 3 HOURS
Have you ever knit with your handspun and something just wasn’t right? Maybe your cables were floppy or your lace wasn’t open enough? The answer may lie in your chosen ply. The right ply can make or break your knitting project.
In this class, we’ll spin and knit while exploring the effect ply has on finished fabric.
Together we’ll answer these questions:
- What makes cables pop?
- How to ply for open lace
- What about singles for knitting?
- Chain plying?
- What’s a good use for cabled yarns?
- Why use more than 2 plies?
We’ll also discuss the effects fiber breeds and blends, preparation, and woolen and worsted drafting can have on plying.
I LIKE BIG YARN AND I CANNOT LIE : SPINNING BIG LOFTY YARN – 3 HOURS
Chunky, bulky, super bulky -- it’s quick to knit and easy to spin! Come learn the tricks to spinning a fat, soft, lofty wool yarn, and learn what to knit with it after you’re done.
In this class, you’ll learn how to adjust your hands, feet and wheel to get big yarns easily. We’ll try spinning with a variety of fibers and fiber preparations (roving, top, and batts) to learn how they affect your big yarn.
Everyone should knit with their handspun yarn, so we’ll talk about knitting with big, soft yarn and you’ll get a pattern that will work great with your new yarns.
KNITTING WITH HANDSPUN – 3 HOURS
There is nothing like a project knitted from handspun – the yarn is exactly what you want, knit in colors that are perfect. Maybe you’ve never knit anything from your handspun, have had some spectacular disasters, or are just looking for tips to make the process smoother.
In this class, you’ll learn to spin the exact yarn you want to knit for a specific project. We’ll review your handspun yarns, spin new yarns and knit samples.
You’ll get tips on:
- How fiber breed and preparation affect your yarn
- How drafting method and ply affect your yarn and knitting.
- Keeping yarns consistent throughout
- The color question: what to do with all of the variegated tops and rovings in your stash
- How best to swatch handspun yarn
We’ll explore how to pair your handspun with the perfect project., whether it’s a project written for handspun yarn or commercial yarn. We’ll figure out what patterns your default handspun is best for.
You’ll learn how a whole bunch of abbreviations affect your project: WPI (Wraps per inch), TPI (Twist per inch), YPP (yards per pound)
BATTS IN THE BELFRY: SPINNING BATTS – 3 HOURS
Rolled up and twinkling like the most exquisite gifts, batts are unpredictable, mysterious and so beautiful. Puffy or even, stripes or solid, smooth or bursting with texture, batts are irresistible to buy, but can be a curiosity to spin.
In this class, you will spin batts and only batts. You’ll put your hands and wheels to several kinds of batts that vary in texture and color presentation.
You will learn about the different kinds of batts and what you can spin from each one. You’ll learn how to
- control color flow in a batt
- spin with or against a batt’s inclination
- control texture in a batt to spin for lofty, smooth or wild yarn
We’ll even talk about buying batts – sometimes what you see isn’t what you get.
You will leave this class batt-happy and ready to conquer any batt that strikes your fancy.
CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN: TWELVE WAYS TO SPIN VARIEGATED TOPS – 3 HOURS
How many ways are there to spin a variegated top? You are only limited by how fast you can spin.
This class will take you through at least a dozen ways to work with variegated top.
We’ll explore spinning variegated tops to combine and blend colors for stark contrast or beautiful subtlety.
You'll spin yarns and knit samples that will show the effects of changing the color flow on variegated fibers. You’ll learn ways to keep your yarn colors exactly the same as your fiber braid. You’ll learn the whys and how-tos of combining multiple variegated tops.
In this class we’ll explore:
- Mixing colors with plying
- Blending colors through drafting at the wheel
- Mixing 2 or more braids
- The easiest way to choose multiple braids to mix for a hat or for a sweater
- How yarn size, fiber prep and your drafting style affects variegated yarns
We’ll even talk about how to manage your stash of braids.
After you spin in this class you’ll never look at your stash the same way again.
A SPINNER’S COMPASS: MEASURING AND DOCUMENTING YOUR YARN – 3 HOURS
Are you ready to spin a more consistent yarn? Do you wan to spin for a big project and aren’t sure if your yarn will match all the way through? Are you not sure how to measure or what the measurements tell you? Do you keep all of your yarn stats on sticky notes? Do you have an end yarn in mind but aren’t sure how to get there?
Come get to know every aspect of your spun yarn in this class. We will discuss measuring and measuring tools and several ways to keep track of all of your spinning information.
In this class we will learn:
- Twist angle, TPI, WPI, YPP
- What is grist and why it’s important
- When to measure
- How to measure
- How to sample and keep track
- How to build a spinner’s measuring kit perfect for your style of spinning
- How to evaluate your yarn against the yarn you want to make
- How to determine the changes to make to get the yarn you want
- How to build a spinner’s journal
We will spend time at our wheels practicing measuring for consistency. We will spin and make small changes that will affect your yarn.
GILDING THE LILY – EMBELLISHING KNITS WITH EMBROIDERY - 3 HOURS
Embroidery adds a beautiful element to knits. It can make even the most simple knitting project look complex and uniquely your own.
In this class you’ll learn to embellish your knits with simple stitches plus get to know about yarn, needles and designs that work best on knitwear.
In this class you will learn:
- 6 different embroidery stitches including duplicate stitch
- What to consider about weights of yarn and types of yarn for embroidery
- How to work with variegated yarns
- How to embellish textured knitting
- How to match embroidery yarn to knitting yarn
- How to manage the back of your work
BEGINNING SPINNING FOR STITCHING – 3 HOURS
Stitching with handspun yarn is a luxury everyone should experience.
This class will walk you through the very basics of spinning yarn to stitch with.
We will spin two different fibers into several yarns to stitch, all the while learning:
- To spin finer
- About different fibers for stitching
- What to consider when spinning to stitch on knitting vs. fabric
- The best twist and ply for stitching
Once we spin our fibers, we’ll do some sample stitching. After this class, you’ll be excited to spin for stitching and to embellish your world.
PLY TO KNIT: SPIN THE YARN YOU REALLY WANT – ONLINE CLASS @ CRAFTSY
Learn how to ply and take your ideal yarn from idea to wonderfully textured, vibrant reality — sure to make your next knitting project pop!
Professional knitter and spinner Jillian Moreno will guide you through what ply is and why it's so important to spinning the yarns you want. You'll gain a new understanding of ply terminology, learn about the equipment you'll need and become comfortable with the motions of ply. Then, Jillian will walk you through each step of plying your yarn with singles, 2-ply, 3-ply and chain-ply. You’ll discover the differences and advantages to each of these plies and explore what fibers and projects they complement. Moving on, get techniques for correcting common mistakes and find out how to spot a mistake by look or feel! Finally, learn how to measure and plan for ply, achieve consistent ply and even use commercial yarns as a touchstone when spinning your one-of-a-kind yarn.
- 7 HD video lessons with anytime, anywhere access
- Class materials, including sample-card template and twist-angle gauge
- Hours of close-up instruction
- Answers from Jillian in our virtual classroom
Click here to read more or sign up!